New Delhi: Yoga is considered a part of a healthy lifestyle routine. Mostly practised as an exercise routine, yoga is different from other routines as it has benefits not just for the body, but also for the mind. Given the kind of environment and world that we live in today, yoga sounds like a perfect exercise routine to invest time in. It helps to relieve stress, increase mindfulness and helps us get a healthy body.
Malasana is a popular yoga asana that many people want to try. Here are the steps to perform Malasana, and avail its many benefits.
How to perform Malasana?
Picture credits: Gaia
Malasana is also called the ‘garland pose’. Malasana refers to a Yogi’s squat. Different from the modern squat performed in gyms and as part of HIIT workouts, the Malasana refers to a full squat, where the knees are completely bent, and the pelvis reaches the extreme position.
To perform Malasana:
- Stand in the mountain pose, with your hands on your sides
- Step out and stand with your feet at least shoulder-width apart, or slightly more
- Bend your knees and lower your hips, and extend your thighs to the outside to give way to your body for movement
- While bending your knees further, and dropping your pelvis, bend your torso a little bit to the front
- Fold your hands in prayer position, and keep your elbows attached to the side of your thighs
- Shifting the weight of the body to the heels, straighten your back and bring your torso back, making it perpendicular to the floor
- Keep breathing normally, and try to hold the pose for five breaths.
- To release, bring your fingers to the ground, and straighten your legs to go into the standing forward fold pose.
Achieving the full squat can be difficult, and may even take a few days or weeks to master. However, you must try the Malasana for the many health benefits it has, and try to achieve the squat to whatever extent that your body’s flexibility allows.
Health benefits of Malasana
- Can boost metabolism
- Is good for reproductive health
- Improves posture
- Increases flexibility
- Strengthens and tones the muscles of the back, thighs and legs
- Helps eliminate waste from the body